Monday, January 17, 2011

At It Again

After a 2 1/2 hiatus, I have decided to give this running thing another shot. I still don't actually like exercising, but it does come with two major benefits (1) I don't feel quite as lazy (2) I can eat whatever I want because I'm always craving food!

This time I decided that a normal 5k was SO last year, so I have signed up to compete in the Louisiana Warrior Dash on March 5. Two potential hiccups in this race (1) It's the Saturday before Mardi Gras, but hopefully our early wave time of 9 am will get us back in time for the parades of the day (2) It's the freakin Warrior Dash.

For those of you who have not heard about this race, it is a 5k that includes 13 obstacles of different ridiculousness, ranging from Jungle Running (a traditional summer camp activity) to crawling through a mud pit and jumping over fire. Find out more by visiting their website.

"But Lauren," you might say, "Why in the world are you doing this?" You ask a very fantastic question. I'm really into lists today, so (1) It kinda sounds fun to get ridunkulously messy (2) To challenge myself in a new way.

The training for this race will consist of the running I did for my previous race with some cross training to strengthen my arms and core for the other obstacles involved in the race. I have officially done 2 of these workouts, and I feel like I might die. I'm so sore from core exercises that it hurts to laugh, and I had trouble folding my laundry because my arms were tired. Also, I have absolutely no idea how to cross train, so if anyone has any advice I could really use your help!

Improvements in training from the last race: (1) I don't start work until 2pm, so I don't have to get up SUPER early to run (2) It is no longer 78256 degrees in New Orleans, so I still don't have to wake up SUPER early to run!

Some pictures I found when I googled 'Warrior Dash'

Crawling through a mud pit

Apparently the water 'isn't that deep' meaning 3-4 ft deep. I'm 5'1.

Jumping over fire to the finish line.

1 comment:

  1. This looks awesome, and you must do it. I'm wielding my YAV office power.

    ReplyDelete